Where does the name “Lafayette” come from?
The Beginning of the LFC:
June, 10th 1943 – A group of citizens met at the home of George Luttenberger to organize the Lincoln Heights Plaque Association. This group would design and dedicate a plaque honoring local residents serving in the World War II on July 4th 1943
August, 1st 1943 – During another meeting of this community group at the home of Harry Buckwalter, it was suggested that a committee be formed to canvass the area for interest in forming a fire company.
August, 12th 1943 – At another meeting of the same community group positive results of the survey were reported and the Lafayette Fire Company was formed. The name Lafayette was selected in honor of General Marquis De Lafayette who assembled his troops at a site along the current Old Philadelphia Pike during his 1825 march into Lancaster.
To this day, there is a plaque along the Old Philadelphia Pike (aside Rosewood Terrace) dedicated to General Lafayette.
October, 1st 1943 – The Lafayette Fire Company of East Lampeter Township is officially chartered